POWER PLANT: One Hirth HM 60 four cylinder inverted air-cooled in-line piston engine, rated at 80 hp, driving a four-bladed pusher propeller via an extension shaft
PERFORMANCE: 137 mph
COMMENT: The Göppingen Gö 9 was a research aircraft built to investigate the practicalities of powering a plane using a pusher propeller located far from the engine and turned by a long driveshaft. In 1937, Claudius Dornier observed that adding extra engines and propellers to an aircraft in an attempt to increase speed would also attract a penalty of greater drag, especially when placing two or more engines within nacelles mounted on the wings. He reasoned that this penalty could be minimized by mounting a second propeller at the rear of an aircraft. In order to prevent tail-heaviness, however, the engine would need to be mounted far ahead of it. Dornier patented this idea and commissioned a test plane to evaluate it. This aircraft was designed by Dr. Hütter as a 40% sized, scaled-down version of the Dornier Do 17 ‘Fast bomber’ fuselage and wing panels without the twin-engine nacelles, and built by Schempp-Hirth at Wüsterberg. The airframe was entirely of wood and used a retractable tricycle landing gear – one of the earliest German airframe designs to use such an arrangement. Power was supplied by a Hirth HM 60 inverted, air-cooled inline four-cylinder engine mounted within the fuselage near the wings. Other than the engine installation, the only other unusual feature of the aircraft was its all-new, full four-surface cruciform tail, which included a large ventral fin/rudder unit of equal area to the dorsal surface. This fin incorporated a small supplementary tail-wheel protruding from the ventral fin’s lower tip that assisted in keeping the rear-mounted, four-blade propeller away from the ground during take-off and landing. The Gö 9 carried the civil registration D-EBYW. Initially towed aloft by a Dornier Do 17, flight tests began in June 1941, but later flights operated under its own power. The design validated Dornier’s ideas, and he went ahead with his original plan to build a high-performance aircraft with propellers at the front and rear, producing the Dornier Do 335 ‘Pfeil’ (‘Arrow’) the fastest fighter aircraft in service during WW II. The eventual fate of the Gö 9 is not known (Ref.: 24)
POWER PLANT: Two Argus As 10 C air-cooled engines, rated at 250 hp each
PERFORMANCE: 212 mph
COMMENT: To support the development of flying wing aircraft the Luftwaffe founded a special “Luftwaffen-Sonderkommando 9” (Air Force Special Command 9). This command ordered several two-seater flying wing trainers for pilots who should fly the on-coming Horten/Gotha Go 229 twin-engine flying wing turbojet fighter. In 1943, based on the Horten V the Horten Brothers developed the Horten Ho VII, a flying wing with an enlarged center section to hold a longer canopy for a crew of 2, and greater fuel tanks. The wing sections remained nearly unchanged. Two aircraft were built by Peschke Company at Minden and flight tested at Minderheide airfield, the Ho VII V-1 with fixed undercarriage, the Ho VII V-2 with retracting undercarriage, the front wheel backwards and the main wheels forwards into the fuselage. Further tests were performed by Skoda-Kauba-Flugzeugwerke at Ruzyn airfield close to Prague (occupied by Germany at that time). In 1945 an order calling for 20 Ho VII trainers was placed as trainer for the Horten/Gotha Go 229 flying wing turbojet fighter. With the end of WW II all work was cancelled (Ref.: 19).
POWER PLANT: Two Hirth HM 60R inline engines, rated at 80 hp each, driving pusher propellers
PERFORMANCE: 218 mph
COMMENT: Walter and Reimar Horten, credited as the Horten Brothers, were German aircraft pilots and enthusiasts. Although they had little, if any, formal training in aeronautics or related fields, the Horten Brothers designed not only some outstanding gliders but some of the most advanced aircraft of the mid 1940s, including the world’s first jet-powered flying wing, the Horten Ho 229. Early in 1930, both began their career by designing some outstanding gliders, most of them in flying wing configuration. The first Horten Ho I glider was awarded for its excellent construction and was followed by the Horten Ho II that, after flight testing as glider, was powered by one Hirth HM 60 R engine with pusher-type propeller. Further development was the Horten Ho III, a high performance glider, of which 14 aircraft were built, and the Horten Ho IV, also a high performance glider. In 1936, supported by the Dynamit Noble Company, construction of the Horten Ho V began, a twin engine flying wing with two seats and built completely from “Trolitax”, a new synthetic material. Most advanced was its control system by combining lateral and yaw control. Undamped vibrations occurred during flight and the aircraft crashed, the pilot survived. The second prototype, the Horten Ho V V-2, a single seater, was constructed in a conventional way, as far as the material and the control systems are concerned. During flight tests the aircraft showed excellent handling characteristics but remained grounded as WW II proceeded (Ref.: 19)
Scale 1:72 aircraft models of World War II
Mit der weiteren Nutzung unserer Webseite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies verwenden um Ihnen die Nutzerfreundlichkeit dieser Webseite zu verbessern. Weitere Informationen zum Datenschutz finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.